Monday, February 25, 2008

Our budding artist.


John is such an artist, that he's compulsive about it. He'll get a picture or an idea in his head and the world stops until he can get it down on paper with markers or paint. That was the case today, he had a picture in his head on the way home from school and had to create it the second he walked in the door.

My sister, Susan, is an artist/art teacher and has shown John how to do a rough sketch of his idea before painting. At first he wasn't thrilled with the idea of following a process, he just wanted to do it his way. However, the lesson obviously stuck because walking in the door from school today the following conversation occurred:

John: I'm going to draw my picture in pencil before I paint it, that way I can get it just right.

Me
: That sounds like a good idea, just like Aunt Susan showed you. That's how artists do it, and she's an artist.

John: Yeah, and she's old.

Apparently John respects Aunt Susan's "experience".

No comments: