OK, people are getting wind of my new job that is pending, so it's time to make the public announcement ..... I'm joining the IL Army National Guard. Yes, Brian, I'm joining the Dark Side and going Green, but I'll still bleed Navy blue. So, assuming everything passes the Commissioning Board's approval in November, here's the deal:~ I sign an 8 year commitment in the reserves which begins counting down the day I sign, and after 12 months in the Guard, they will pay for school. So that will cover 2.5 years of tuition.
~ On top of that, they're hiring me as a student recruiter to get other students to sign on. I'll get full time active duty pay while only working one weekend a month (15 minutes from my home). And since it's in their best interest for me to graduate, most of my time drilling will be spent studying with lots of dentists around to help with any questions that I might have.
~ I will take a reduction in rank from O-5, but that happens any time you switch from an "unrestricted line" commission to a "corps" commission or vice versa, even within the same branch of service. I'll get paid as an O-3 over 20 years or an O-4 over 20 years while going to school. The board will have to decide which rank based on my prior service. I'm being told that it will probably be as an O-4 over 20, but I'm willing to go down two ranks to O-3 because active duty pay as an O-3 with 20 years of service is a hell of a lot more money than no paycheck!
~Since I hit 20 years in the Nav this Nov, when I do retire it'll be as an O-5, at a minimum, higher if I make O-6 during my time in the Guard.
~ I can't be deployed while in dental school, during a post-doc speciality program or during a residency. So, theoretically, my commitment could be up before I ever have to deploy. They have a written instruction that Dentists can't be deployed for more than 90 days at a time in theater, and then only every few years. So, as long as I join a group practice instead of opening a solo office, deployment shouldn't be an issue because I'll have partners to cover my patients.
~ Plus, if UAL should go completely belly up, my family will have 100% medical coverage! (Jim just got the "bump" down to a lower paid aircraft, thank you economy.)
Kind of hard to pass up. My motto used to be, "It's not just a job, it's a job on a big grey boat". Once we get all the documentation complete and get my commission switched over, my motto will be, "Not just paid, Army paid".

Army Training, Sir

8 comments:
So Brian gets to boss you around now? Cool!
Hardly. I'm an O, he's an E.
I'll admit I'm no military expert, but E comes before O, so shouldn't Brian be your boss?
You are correct about not being an expert. E does come before O, but when have you ever heard of the military making sense? If you need help remembering how it goes, just think of this:
E's come first so they do the work, O's follow then watch.
Well as with most things, I think it should all be settled with a wrestling match. You versus Brian at Christmas. We will all be cheering you both on.
Sounds like the Festivus Feat of Strength, without the tinsel-free aluminum pole. Shall we prepare for the Airing of Grievances?
Exactly...officers watch, and take all the credit for what us NCOs do. Figures. too bad Im getting out as youre getting in. I gone out before the Squid army takes over.
P.S. you can still deploy....there are holes....
SGT Bartman...out!
Show me the loop holes, 'cause I can't find them. Remember this is the dental corps, not the fightin' unrestricted line.
Post a Comment